Saturday, September 24, 2011

Inspired yet? Designing for Brazilian Dimensional Embroidery

I'm going to try to embed this totally inspirational little vid that I saw here:
(If it doesn't work, click that blog link above and scroll down ... you'll be inspired.)

Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

It's for those of us who love to stitch Brazilian dimensional embroidery, and would love to make our own designs, but don't quite know where to start.

Start by making notes when you stitch -- the colors you are using, the number of floss strands you use, any ideas you have that will make a flower or a stitch more interesting.

When you are chatting with a friend on the phone, keep a notebook and pencil handy.  Doodle.  Draw circles. Draw leaves.  Leaves are just curved lines. Start with the center leaf vein ... a nice, gentle sweeping curve.
Now add a fatter curving line on the top.
And another on the bottom.
    That would be a leaf. See:


I do my computer drawing with the tools in Word (Insert-Shapes-Curve), and I also like some of the circles and other shapes. Other apps can be used but I got used to drawing with Word tools. However, you can purchase a circle template at the office supply store and start your designing that way.

Designing all starts with Step 1:  Pick up a pencil.

I'm periodically making notes about design because one of my fellow Brazilian embroidery stitchers asked for tips to start designing. I'll tell you what I do, and if it helps someone else, I'm happy.
Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment